Welcome to Episode 19 of the Your Brilliant Un-Career Podcast Show! David Smith has lived the high flying corporate life, and helped build billion dollar companies but he’s also been shot at, accused of being a spy and left feeling like he barely saw his growing family. A couple of years ago, David gave the James Bond life away in favour of a more balanced life and a dream to start his own business. Hold onto your seats! David’s making the leap story and how he is transforming the world now will keep you riveted.
About the Podcast
Make the leap into entrepreneurship, get unstuck and grow! Through Your Brilliant Un-Career, the Podcast, Author and entrepreneur Cas McCullough shares tips and stories to help corporate escapees, wantrapreneurs and entrepreneurs shift from stuck to inspired, from dreamers to doers. Proudly brought to you by the book: Your Brilliant Un-Career: Women, Entrepreneurship, and Making the Leap and the 33 Free business building resources available on the Your Brilliant Un-Career website. Out now on Amazon. http://bit.ly/uncareerp (Paperback version) http://bit.ly/uncareer (Kindle version)
About David Smith
David is a disrupter of conventional business models. He designs and develops collaborative platforms to redirect funds back to the community and to those organisations who help those in need. David is a former COO of an ASX200 company who was integral in building a multi-billion dollar enterprise and has lived or worked in the US, UK, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Central Asia, Former Soviet Union and Australia. David is also a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Directors (FAICD) and has served on international and national company board of directors. His book #DisruptMeNow will be released later in 2015.
Connect with David
Takeaways from episode 19
- Being a startup entrepreneur means you don’t have 500 staff at your beck and call. You have to be resourceful.
- Keep pivoting! Keep innovating. Don’t just stop where you’re comfortable!
- If you have planning and then execute well, there’s no limit to what you can achieve.
- When you’ve done the numbers, there’s no reason why something shouldn’t take off as fast as you want it to.
- If you don’t already have high level connections, having courage, belief in yourself and confidence in what you’re offering will help you get past the gate keepers.
- Be prepared for people to say “no” but don’t be offended.
- Utilise networks in associations.
- You have to learn to hustle!
- Even if a new connection doesn’t need you or they’re not a good fit, they probably have friends who could use your services.
Listen to the Podcast
Listen to the Show on Stitcher Radio
Subscribe to the show via iTunes here
If you enjoyed the show, I’d love for you to leave a review on iTunes. It only takes a moment and your review and rating of the show can really help this show reach more listeners.
Share the Podcast with a Business Friend
Also, if you know someone who would enjoy the show, why not pay it forward to them by sharing it with them. Here’s a tweet you can use:
Want More on this Topic?
Chapter 4 of Your Brilliant Un-Career talks about putting your plan in place. I have done a terrific interview with The 7 Day Startup author Dan Norris on the topic of startups. You can access that for free here, along with 32 other business building podcast interviews, templates, worksheets and motivational affirmations.