Welcome to Episode 4 of the Your Brilliant Un-Career Podcast Show! In this episode I interviewed publishing strategist Tom Morkes about the benefits to self publishing a book, why publishing a book is not necessarily about sales and why that’s all good. Tom shares his top strategies for promoting your self-published book, the importance of building your platform and how to create the biggest impact possible. If you have a book in you, don’t miss this show!
About the Podcast
Make the leap into entrepreneurship, get unstuck and grow! Through Your Brilliant Un-Career, the Podcast, Author and entrepreneur Cas McCullough shares tips and stories to help corporate escapees, wantrapreneurs and entrepreneurs shift from stuck to inspired, from dreamers to doers. Proudly brought to you by the book: Your Brilliant Un-Career: Women, Entrepreneurship, and Making the Leap and the 33 Free business building resources available on the Your Brilliant Un-Career website. Out now on Amazon. http://bit.ly/uncareerp (Paperback version) http://bit.ly/uncareer (Kindle version)
About Tom Morkes
A graduate of The United States Military Academy at West Point who served in Iraq, Tom Morkes traded jumping out helicopters for becoming an entrepreneur. Tom is the CEO of Insurgent Publishing, a boutique publishing company that makes books for the creative outliers of the world. He’s the author of four books: The Art of Instigating, Notes From Seth Godin’s Revolution Conference and The Complete Guide to Pay What You Want Pricing. His 4th book, COLLABORATE, is set to launch in November. Get early access, exclusive content and behind the scenes look into the making of the book by joining the “Early Notification” list.
Connect with Tom
Takeaways from Episode 4
- You need to define the purpose of your book. If reach is important, you are in it for the long haul and you’ll want to build your platform through your book. If your purpose is sales, then Amazon may not be the right platform for you. It ultimately comes down to what your goal is. The more people who read the book, the greater the impact for your platform.
- Books can be a calling card for your website, your courses and programs. Making your book about driving people back to your website is a great strategy.
- Place incentives for people to go back to your website after every single chapter of your book.
- More than 90% of people don’t read an entire book from start to finish. From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense to create additional value and position incentives to engage throughout the book.
- Make sure you have a website that you can add a membership portal to if you want to create protected content for readers. Some plugins that work well are The New Rainmaker and Zippy Courses.
- The launch is just one piece of the puzzle. Beyond the launch you want the book to get you new readers and subscribers.
- A giveaway is a great incentive to share and create buzz about your book. It’s easy to get people to share something that’s free.
Listen to the Podcast
Listen to the Show on Stitcher Radio
Subscribe to the show via iTunes here
If you enjoyed the show, I’d love for you to leave a review on iTunes. It only takes a moment and your review and rating of the show can really help this show reach more listeners.
Share the Podcast with a Business Friend
Also, if you know someone who would enjoy the show, why not pay it forward to them by sharing it with them. Here’s a tweet you can use:
Want More on this Topic?
Chapter 10 of Your Brilliant Un-Career talks about Accelerating your Growth through email marketing, and collaboration. I have done a terrific interview with Ads Academy’s Phil McGregor on this topic. You can access that for free here, along with 32 other business building podcast interviews, templates, worksheets and motivational affirmations.