Kelly Exeter spent her days training as a triathlete, dreaming about training as a triathlete and wishing she had more hours in her day to train more. But one day she came to the realisation that more time didn’t mean she’d accomplish anything more. Kelly shares her insights in her book Your Best Year Ever (Also known as Your Best Year Yet), 7 simple ways to shift your thinking and take charge of your life and she also shares many other life lessons in our conversation. If you feel like you need more time in your day, and if you struggle with perfectionism, this is the episode for you. And, if you make it all the way to the end, I have a very special Christmas gift on offer to listeners and it’s pretty big.
About the Podcast
If you’ve thought about or recently made the leap into entrepreneurship, but you’re finding the journey overwhelming, I want to help you land on two feet and gracefully overcome the challenges that stand in your way. You can do it. You are doing it… as am I. We are in this together! Through the stories my guests and I share on Your Brilliant Un-Career, the Podcast, I aim to help you shift from stuck to inspired, from dreamer to doer. This podcast is proudly brought to you by my bestselling book: Your Brilliant Un-Career: Women, Entrepreneurship, and Making the Leap, out now on Amazon. http://bit.ly/uncareerp (Paperback version) http://bit.ly/uncareer (Kindle version), and Shift Club, creating marketing that moves… your business, your community and the world!
Kelly Exeter is owner of Swish Design, a boutique web and graphic design company in Perth. She is also editor of FlyingSolo.com.au, Australia’s largest online community of solopreneurs and micro-business owners. In 2014 Kelly’s business blog (Swish Design) was named as a finalist in the Australian Writers’ Centre Best Australian Blogs business category. The Swish Design blog was also one of Smart Company’s top 20 Australian Business Blogs in 2015. In addition to her business blog, Kelly authors a popular personal blog called A Life Less Frantic and in 2014 she published her first book: Your Best Year Ever.
Connect with Kelly
Takeaways from Episode 34
- Tiny little changes in mindset gave me the biggest payoff mentally and physically.
- Having all the time in the world is the worst thing that can happen to someone.
- You wouldn’t use that extra time in the best possible way.
- A task will expand to take up the amount of time you give it. If you’ve got 5 hours, you’ll take 5 hours.
- Time is not the enemy and nobody has all the time in the world to do they things they want to do. Time is your friend. It sets a boundary for you and gives you a deadline.
- You have to get comfortable with doing something good enough, and if you can’t get comfortable with doing something good enough and you can’t allocate more time to it then it’s not as important as you think it is and maybe you shouldn’t be doing it at all.
- Perfection will stuff you up.
- We have to get comfortable with things not working out. Being afraid to fail will prevent you from doing cool stuff in the future.
- Other people don’t care as much about your failures as you do.
- People are so busy. Just because you put something out there once doesn’t mean that it’s on people’s radar.It’s not that people don’t care. It’s just they don’t remember. They are focused on their own stuff.
- You need to be in front of people’s faces and often in order to be top of mind.
- The richness of the relationship that you can create if you’re able to get in front of people is second to none.
- Call to Action: If you say you can’t, make yourself do it.
- Cas mentions the movie Coach Carter.
- It’s not just people who limit themselves individually but people like to limit others.
- One of the most dangerous sentences in the world “we’ve always done it this way.”
- Challenge assumptions.
- You’ve gotta choose who you hang around with very carefully. This is why you want to hang around fellow entrepreneurs.
- It’s much much worse to not give something a go than to try something and not have it work out.
- Never put a ceiling on the things your kids will try.
- I don’t need to rule the world. I don’t need to be the best in the world but I need to get the absolute most out of myself that I can.
- If there’s something that you can’t stop thinking about, you must go after it.
- Set your goals high. Go after those things. Half the time getting there is not all that exciting, it’s the having a crack at something.
- It’s good to be multi passionate, because if that thing you are passionate about it not working out for you, it’s good to have something else.
- Lots of good stuff comes out of dark periods in life.
- We’re not on our deathbed going I wish I spent more time at work.
- Go after your goals. We should all have big dreams. We should all have big goals. but there are definitely ways of achieving those big goals without being absolutely 100 percent single minded about it. Because if you are going to be absolutely 100 percent singleminded about your goals you might get to your goals but you won’t have anyone to share the happiness with because your relationships will be done.
- Achieving success is more of a marathon than a sprint.
- If we’re feeling confident and we’re feeling our worth, it’s such a powerful thing. We’re happier. The more of us who are bringing the best of ourselves to the world, the more we’ll bring others up and make the world a better place.
- Kelly’s big Making the Leap: Be willing to achieve slowly.
Listen to the Podcast on Sound Cloud
Listen to the Podcast on Stitcher
Subscribe to the show via iTunes here
If you enjoyed the show, I’d love for you to leave a rating and review on iTunes. It only takes a moment and your review and rating of the show can really help this show reach more listeners.
Share the Podcast with a Business Friend
Also, if you know someone who would enjoy the show, why not pay it forward to them by sharing it with them. Here’s a tweet you can use:
Want More on this Topic?
Chapter 1 of Your Brilliant Un-Career talks about finding your purpose. I have done a terrific interview with Y Network founder and author Shar Moore on this topic that I want you to have. Access this interview for free here, along with 32 other business building podcast interviews, templates, worksheets and motivational affirmations.