Do you view yourself the way your friends do? When someone gives you a compliment, do you immediately think of some reason why it doesn’t apply to you, or do you say “thank you!” with a big smile on your face. Today, Ann Peck and I unravel why it’s important to be kind to yourself and how you can get into the habit of being your own best friend.
About the Podcast
If you’ve thought about or recently made the leap into entrepreneurship, but you’re finding the journey overwhelming, I want to help you land on two feet and gracefully overcome the challenges that stand in your way. You can do it. You are doing it… as am I. We are in this together! Through the stories my guests and I share on Your Brilliant Un-Career, the Podcast, I aim to help you shift from stuck to inspired, from dreamer to doer.
This podcast is proudly brought to you by my bestselling book: Your Brilliant Un-Career: Women, Entrepreneurship, and Making the Leap, out now on Amazon. http://bit.ly/uncareerp (Paperback version) http://bit.ly/uncareer (Kindle version), and Writally.com, a new startup to help business bloggers create high-quality content in half the time. Join the beta testing community here: http://writally.com/group!
Ann Peck is the host of Straight Talk for a Curvy World, and a motivational speaker.
Connect with Kevin
- Thank goodness for friends who have the ability to cut through the crap
- She stopped me in my tracks and said: “You’re just not ready. Nobody can see how awesome you are because you don’t know how awesome you are yet.”
- Sometimes what we think is in front of us isn’t… We don’t know what we don’t know
- “When I look at you, here’s what I see. I see a beautiful, strong, amazing woman who cares deeply about her kids and gives so much to others. I see a brave, kind and loving soul who is so talented, and I want to be more like you.”
- My friend said all these amazing things about me and I thought, why aren’t I saying these amazing things to myself?
- Most of us don’t talk about it because we think everyone thinks the same way we think, and it’s a vicious cycle.
- It’s possible to love yourself from the inside out.
- People do stuff out of brokenness
- It’s about progress not perfection
- Daily reminders (“I am” habits)
- Saying outlowd: “I am Enough”
- Morning pages: the importance of freewriting, not necessarily journaling but just writing 3 pages and getting thoughts out
- Self check-in
- Compassion – Showing mercy and understanding to yourself and then to others
- As women, we have a tendency to take care of everyone and everything else around us before we take care of ourselves.
- Being kind to yourself is where you need to start. You can’t give away what you don’t own.
- When you are unkind to yourself or have low self-esteem, you tend to over compensate by giving more of yourself than you probably should.
- When you begin to like yourself more and realize this is your journey, you are able to give from the heart more.
- “She could never go back and make some of the details pretty. All she could do was move forward and make the whole beautiful.” — Terri St. Cloud
- Through active appreciation, you find ways to be kind to yourself no matter what negative situation you face.
- You’re worth it! Your life can be so much bigger and better if you become your own best friend.
Day 7 Challenge
If you were your best friend, how would you describe you? Spend at least 5 minutes today reflecting on your new best friend and write down what you love about her. I guarantee it will change your perspective.
Also, if you have a friend who is prone to beating herself up, please take a moment to tell her what wonderful things you see in her. It will make her day.
Be sure to share your thoughts and feelings about this with me on Facebook.
Listen to the Podcast on Sound Cloud
Listen to the Podcast on Stitcher
Subscribe to the show via iTunes here
If you enjoyed the show, I’d love for you to leave a rating and review on iTunes. It only takes a moment and your review and rating of the show can really help this show reach more listeners.
Share the Podcast with a Business Friend
Also, if you know someone who would enjoy the show, why not pay it forward to them by sharing it with them. Here’s a tweet you can use:
Want More From Your Brilliant Un-Career?
Your Brilliant Un-Career features a bonus private podcast interview with EFT practitioner Sally Thibault. Listen in for tips on how to overcome the mental and emotional barriers to your success and read Chapter 11 of Your Brilliant Un-Career for more on this topic. Access this interview for free here, along with 32 other bonus business building podcast interviews, templates, worksheets and motivational affirmations.