Today’s show is about choosing happiness, even when you don’t feel happy, even when you don’t want to be. The reality is, though, happiness is not defined by your circumstances or by what happens to you, and nobody knows this better than today’s guest, author of bestselling book The Miracle Morning, Hal Elrod. Hal and I dig deep into happiness and Hal shares his amazing and inspiring journey with The Miracle Morning. This was one of the most inspirational interviews I’ve done on this show. If you’re in a funk or you just could use a little inspiration, listen in now!
About the Podcast
If you’ve thought about or recently made the leap into entrepreneurship, but you’re finding the journey overwhelming, I want to help you land on two feet and gracefully overcome the challenges that stand in your way. You can do it. You are doing it… as am I. We are in this together! Through the stories my guests and I share on Your Brilliant Un-Career, the Podcast, I aim to help you shift from stuck to inspired, from dreamer to doer.
This podcast is proudly brought to you by my bestselling book: Your Brilliant Un-Career: Women, Entrepreneurship, and Making the Leap, out now on Amazon. http://bit.ly/uncareerp (Paperback version) http://bit.ly/uncareer (Kindle version), and Writally.com, my new tech startup to help business bloggers create high-quality content in half the time. Join the beta testing community here: http://writally.com/group!
Hal Elrod died at age 20. After being hit head-on by a drunk driver at 70 mph, he died for 6 minutes, broke 11 bones, and was told by doctors that he would never walk again. Not only did he walk, he ran a 52-mile ultra-marathon, became a hall of fame business achiever, an international keynote speaker, and #1 bestselling author of The Miracle Morning, which is one of the highest rated books on Amazon with over 1,300 five-star reviews.
Connect with Hal
- Happiness is something you don’t need to wait for. You can be happy now. You just have to choose it.
- Find joy in all the small, delicious moments that make up your day and revel in life’s little idiosyncrasies.
- Philosopher Anthony De Mello once compared the human psyche to the sky. He taught that emotions like doubt, despair and depression are like clouds and when you are aware that they are just passing you by and not staying for good, you can be happy while experiencing all of these.
- If you’re not happy, there are simple things you can do to improve the outlook of your day, even if your circumstances are crap, you’re in pain or have fallen on hard times.
- Don’t be hard on yourself. You deserve to be happy, so start creating happy moments and you’ll be amazed at how quickly your spirit will fly.
Interview with Hal Elrod
- Happiness is an emotion. There are many thought leaders that would say that the ultimate purpose of life is happiness. I don’t necessarily disagree with that but I think there are lots of layers.
- The greatest lesson I ever learned was what was the fundamental cause of our unhappiness.
- They are all self-created. Any negative emotion we’ve ever felt, they are all self-created.
- It’s not the thing that causes emotional pain, it is our level of resistance to that thing.
- Hal shares about the time he died in a car crash at 20.
- It’s okay to be negative when things go wrong, but only for five minutes. After that, there’s no point because you can’t change it. You can’t go back in time and change it.
- You get to choose what your emotional response is from that point on.
- If you can’t change something, you put yourself through self-torture if you spend your time wishing things were different.
- What’s your wheelchair? What is the circumstance that is out of your control but you allow it to cause you to feel negative emotions.
- I learned that you can be the happiest you’ve ever been, even amidst the most difficult experience of your life.
- Acceptance is key.
- Hal shares about his rock bottom — it wasn’t dying.
- It’s hard to accept things when they spiral downwards.
- I didn’t know how to accept the worse case scenario and then have it get worse.
- Hal shares about how thrown into the mix was an addiction to Adderal, which he was prescribed for ADHD.
- Your success rarely outstrips your level of personal development. Quote from Jim Rohn
- By applying the Miracle Morning practice, in one day he turned his depression around.
- If you’re not a morning person it’s only because you aren’t used to it. You’re not born one way or another.
- Hal walks us through the six things you can do to get started.
- There are six practices:
- Silence (meditation/prayer)
- Affirmations (written statements that affirm what you want… don’t lie to yourself. Focus on what you’re committed to doing–why, how and when.
- Exercise (get your heart rate up)
- Reading self-help books
- Scribing – articulate your thoughts (journaling)
- Any one of these is a game changer. Do all six and it’s really powerful.
- 43,000 people are in the Miracle Morning group on Facebook.
- Commit to a 30 day challenge to get started.
- Set your alarm clock for 30 minutes earlier.
- Do one of the SAVERS for 30 minutes.
- Join the Miracle Morning Community on Facebook.
- Write down all the things you were grateful for today. When you read back over the list, how does that make you feel?
- The interview sound was a little garbled in some places thanks to the Internet, but I don’t want you to miss anything from this amazing interview so I haven’t edited those bits out.
Listen to the Podcast on Sound Cloud
Subscribe to the show via iTunes here
If you enjoyed the show, I’d love for you to leave a rating and review on iTunes. It only takes a moment and your review and rating of the show can really help this show reach more listeners.
Share the Podcast with a Business Friend
Also, if you know someone who would enjoy the show, why not pay it forward to them by sharing it with them. Here’s a tweet you can use:
Want More From Your Brilliant Un-Career?
Your Brilliant Un-Career features a bonus private podcast interview with EFT practitioner Sally Thibault. Listen in for tips on how to overcome the mental and emotional barriers to your success and read Chapter 11 of Your Brilliant Un-Career for more on this topic. Access this interview for free here, along with 32 other bonus business building podcast interviews, templates, worksheets and motivational affirmations.